Welcome to RentRedi’s series: Investor Spotlight! We’re highlighting experts & their real estate investing tips for beginners—from the experts.
Our Investor Spotlight features real estate investing tips & quickfire questions of the tools, advice, routines, and strategies beginners & professionals use to grow their business and gain passive income.
Investor Spotlight: Pasha Maleknia
Check out investor Pasha Maleknia’s quickfire investing tips for beginners below!
Let’s dive in!
Quickfire Real Estate Investing Tips for Beginners
1. What’s your favorite app (real estate related or not)?
- For a quick market check: Zillow
- For rental management: RentRedi
- For rental listing: Zillow Rental Management
- For agile management: Monday.com or Asana
- For communication: Telegram
- For cloud storage and online office: Google Drive Suite
2. How many hours a night do you sleep?
Usually 6 hours
3. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received (real estate related or not)?
Time in market beats timing the market
4. Do you invest out-of-state?
5. Have you ever house hacked?
6. Do you have a go-to paint color for your rentals?
- Agreeable grey for walls
- Dove White: for Cabinets and Trims
7. How long does it take you to analyze a property for investment?
- Preliminary one, about 1 hour. To get my numbers.
- Final, really depends on the case. I prefer to provide proposals to the deals that check the preliminary one, and for that I work closely with the seller. It takes up to months.
8. How old were you when you purchased your first rental property?
9. Hard money loan or conventional?
It really depends on the case, I personally am not a fan of hard money however I believe it is another tool in the toolbox. Here are my other financing options:
- DSCR loans
- Credit lines
- Construction loans
- Cross collateral loans
- Private money
- Roth/401K loans
10. What is the #1 piece of advice you would give a new real estate investor just starting out?
Build your system as early as possible. Cause it will be much harder to build it afterwards and much more expensive.
11. What made you want to invest in real estate?
In early 2020, I had a very close encounter with death in a plane crash. Right then I realized, I could have easily died while the life of my loved ones would be going on. I always had 6 months of my income as our “worst case scenario” so if I lost my W2 income, I’d be able to pay off the bills before finding my next job.
The worst-case scenario was not me losing my job, it was me not being there to trade my time for the money needed for my family. So, I had to have a “thing” that could generate money regardless of whether I was there or not. A little bit of research brought me to real estate and hence I am investing in it as much as I can. 😊
12. What’s a landlord “hack” you use to make your life easier?
- Systems, Systems, Systems
- Using gadgets like leak detectors and smart locks
Check out more about Pasha!
Pasha Maleknia is a local investor with a background in helping Walmart with real estate market and feasibility research. Pasha and his wife have been honing creative funding strategies while investing in long-term rentals, Airbnb, flipping, and wholesaling.
He uses his Instagram page @techie.realestate to share his real estate journey.
Check out RentRedi’s YouTube channel as well!
Read more Investor Spotlight profiles that feature real estate investing tips for beginners.